Friday, April 10, 2009

Going, going..

Got word this week that the Plymouth Bulletin will be ending operations at the end of this month - the final issue to be April 30th, 2009. Can't say I'm surprised - given the predicament of many more well known, long-running papers across the country. This won't be the end of this blog however, in fact it will free me from having to write (occasionally) about the town itself - so perhaps my columns will have a more national relevance. I have always thought though, that Plymouth's travails had wider relevance, and freed from the need to respond to local issues I may - paradoxically, be able to enhance that aspect of my writing. Certainly I will not hesitate to write about my life in this historic community: the day to day absurdity, the everyday annoyances, the beautiful and the bizarre. Perhaps now that your comments or criticisms will not be published in the paper, or on the official newspaper blog, you (dear reader) will feel more inclined to let me know what you think. Regardless, I will write on: it is not that I have anything important to say, it is simply that I need to express myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the good times, Frank. The good news is I won't have that stupid paper thrown at the end of my driveway getting all soppy in the rain and turning into a pile of sludge when I accidentally drive over it...

Unknown said...

I had my issues with the paper - its format, content, method of distribution, but the people I dealt with were great, especially Sarah Glaser. I wish them all well.

Anonymous said...

The Plymouth Bulletin will not be missed, but the real tragedy here is what GateHouse corporate has done to the Old Colony Memorial. It has completely dismantled what was once one of the finest community newspapapers in the US, and at a time when the town more than ever needs GENUINE news coverage, not rambling opinions about how people should be polite online, and NOT page one stories about rotary auctions, etc.